If you or a loved one have been convicted at a court martial, you may be able to seek clemency or parole. Right after trial, your trial attorney should have sought clemency from the convening authority who ordered your court martial. 

However, you may also be able to apply for clemency or parole from your service Clemency and Parole Board. Eligibility depends upon certain criteria. For example, if you were sentenced to less than a year of confinement, you’ll not likely be eligible. If you were sentenced to at least one year but less than 10 years, you’ll likely be eligible for clemency after serving nine months of your sentence. To learn more about eligibility for clemency and parole, click here


To “petition” for clemency or parole, you need to submit a petition to the clemency and parole board for your service. You’re strongly encouraged to seek legal assistance in submitting your petition.     

Normally, a board consists of five senior military officers who evaluate requests for clemency, parole, reduced penalties, supervised release, or restoration to duty. You’re not normally permitted to appear before a board but the parole boards for the Army and the Navy may allow your family or friends (or your attorney) to appear on your behalf. The boards make recommendations to the Service Secretary for your branch of the service, who all make the final decision.

Along with the packet you (or your attorney) submit, the board generally considers the following:

  • Your crime and the circumstances surrounding it;
  • Your life circumstances prior to entering service
  • The social support you will have upon release;
  • Your military service history;
  • Your conduct in prison, such as whether you have pursued education;
  • Rehabilitation (e.g., have you accepted responsibility for your crime and participated in rehabilitation programs while incarcerated);
  • Any restitution you’ve paid;
  • Relevant psychiatric information;
  • Any recommendation from the judge who convicted you;
  • Statement by the victim, if any.

If you are granted parole, you will be released subject to the approval of the U.S. Probation Officer in your home state. During parole, you will be required to comply with conditions of release and can be returned to prison if you violate these conditions.  


At King Military Law, we believe in ensuring our clients have all the information they need to make important legal decisions. To that end, we include below contact information and links to all of the services’ Clemency and Parole Boards. We encourage you to go to the relevant site and learn as much as you can. This information might enable some to file their own request for clemency without the expense of an attorney, BUT BE CAREFUL! It’s not an easy process. Therefore, we encourage clients to at least speak to an attorney experienced in this process. At King Military Law, we’re happy to offer a free consultation to help you make decisions. We hope this helps.  Good luck! And please give us a call if you think we can help.


Here are the points of contact for the Boards of Clemency and Parole:

Air Force

U.S. Air Force Clemency and Parole Board
1535 Command Drive EE
Wing 3rd Floor
Andrews AFB, MD 20762
Phone: 240-857-5329
Fax: 240-857-1814


Army Clemency and Parole Board
251 18th Street South, Suite 385
Arlington, VA 22202-3531
Phone: (703) 571-0532 or (703) 571-0538
Fax: (703) 601-0493

Navy, Marines and Coast Guard

Naval Clemency and Parole Board
720 Kennon St SE, Suite 309
Washington Navy Yard
Washington, DC 20374-5023
E-mail –
Phone: (202) 685-6338 or (202)-685-6452
Fax: (202) 685-6629

King Military Law: Decades of Experience in YOUR Corner–When Experience Matters Most

Google Reviews

King Military Law
Based on 28 reviews
powered by Google
Gabe CarothersGabe Carothers
03:05 30 Jul 22
King military law truly cares, and will be by your side every single step of the way. If you are even thinking of calling them. Do It. They are true professionals who care. Thank you king military law.
Ro JairamRo Jairam
15:29 12 Jul 22
Don is the guy you want in your corner. When you are up against the resources of the military and government in general, it can be overwhelming. The military JAGs who may eventually get to defend you do their best, but they are often overrun with cases and can only represent you after you’ve been officially been informed that you’re going to court-martial or administrative separation board.I won’t go into too many details about my specific situation, but Don’s vast experience as a prior judge and JAGC CAPT, his knowledge of the law and particular the UCMJ, and quite frankly, his connections to those in the military legal circles, may have saved my career.Do yourself a favor and call King Military Law for a free consultation. Especially if you think things are going to go sideways (like they did in my case), you should give serious consideration toward hiring an attorney.I’ll end with this since I’m being vague. My situation ended in an outcome that the JAGs were flabbergasted by. I had to make some financial sacrifices to hire this warrior but it was well worth it in the end. The resolution to my situation was fair and equitable, and that’s all I could hope for in the beginning.Thanks Don, and keep fighting the good fight.
Coleman ProffittColeman Proffitt
18:19 26 Jun 22
Don King is a man of integrity, professionalism, and work ethic. He worked tirelessly on my case and was always available for my questions. He made sure that I was well informed on the entire situation and all outcomes. I am thankful that I had Don King on my case, and I would give him the highest recommendation to anyone in need.
02:07 09 Apr 22
We only had a Brief conversation. But within those few minutes, He made me smile with relief. He gave me better advice then three lawyers a jag and legal on my ship. I got hit with article 112a, when my ship found a dab pen in my belongings. After his consultation, I feel like I can put my mine at ease. highly recommend 10 out of 10!!!!!!
Roberto AugustinRoberto Augustin
01:40 25 Feb 22
If you are facing any legal issues within your command, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Don. He is one of the best military attorneys you could ever ask for. He is sincere and extremely knowledgeable about the military law. I was in the process of getting separated for a pattern of misconduct a few months before my EOS. I felt so hopeless and scared that I would lose all my benefits. I waited at the last minute to contact Mr. Don. God knows that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. He took his time to listen to my issues and told me right away that he could help me. After I provided him with all the information that was needed for my case, he and his team were able to write a very successful letter to my command admiral and allow me to get out with an honorable discharge. The only regret I have by choosing Attorney Don and his team is not contacting them much earlier than I did.Thanks again, Mr. Don. I greatly appreciate you and your team for helping me win my case.

See All Reviews